Wednesday, April 24, 2013

From a Mother's Heart

Yes, usually this blog is about being a wife. But today, I feel a strong need to write a letter to each of my children.

Dear Chase,
I can't believe you're almost 15. Wasn't it just yesterday I heard your tiny squeak, rocked you to sleep, laughed every time I burped you and you sounded like a clucking chicken? I look now at the young man you've become. You are stubborn and strong willed, and you have an amazing sense of humor.  Never again can I walk to the front of our church as we pray over our tithes and offerings and not remember the moment when we got done praying and you put your hands in, saying, "Church on 3!  Break!" I laugh every time.  I love how your mind is so bent on science and the wonder of how God made things work.  I love to experience life with you.  My prayer for you is Proverbs 2:10:  For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.  Don't forget what you learned about God when you were young, and do not depart from it now. God is your ever-present help in times of trouble. You are so amazing, Chase. I'm so glad God gave me you as an wonderful gift!

Dear Abigail,
Your very name means "father's joy." You truly are your father's joy, both here on Earth and in Heaven.  You are my joy too.  You have grown into a young woman over the past six years I've known you. You long to please others.  And I pray that longing turns into a strong desire to please your Daddy God. My prayer for you is Colossians 1:9-11:  For this reason also, since the day we heard of it, we have not ceased to pray for you and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord,to  please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.  You have also a very compassionate heart for others.  I pray that this trait is grown in you.  You melt my heart every time you tell me you're praying for my boys to come home.  You see things and feel things.  I look forward to watching you grow and mature in Christ, my daughter.

Dear Hunter,
You, my dear son, are what is known as a peacemaker.  As Matthew 5:9 states:  Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.  You are already a son of God.  I had the unique privilege as a parent to pray with you as you made the choice to decide for God and accept Him as your savior.  You are strong-willed yet you do not stand for injustice.  You have a spirit that draws people to you.  I never see you lacking in friends.  You work quickly to mediate and bring peace to any situation.  My prayer for you is I Timothy 2:1-6:  First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony given at the proper time.  I pray that as God takes you before kings and all authority, Jesus Christ will flow through you as mediator.  I look forward to watching you grow and mature in all the knowledge of Christ Jesus.

Dear Rachel,
I never thought I'd be so blessed to have a daughter with my name. Funny how God worked that one out, huh?   Your very name means innocent lamb.  You are very innocent.  You are very caring towards others.  And you have a great desire to love and to be loved.  My prayer for you is Ephesians 3:14-19:  For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. I pray that you know this love of Christ through both your earthly dad and mom, that you are able to comprehend and accept that love and feel secure in that love.  I love that you persevere through so much and still manage to show love and compassion towards others.  You truly are a gift from God.  And I pray that one day, you will be able to accept me as God's gift to you as a mom.  I love you to the moon and back, kiddo.

Dear Caleb,
I love how silly you are.  I love every face that you make.  Your expressions are priceless.  I love that even at 7 years old, you still want to snuggle up with mom. I'll never forget the five million and ten times you've come up to me and said, "I love you, mom," with an awesome strong bear hug.  I also love that every time I see you, you just HAVE to tell me a knock-knock joke.  My prayer for you is Psalm 32:11:  Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, you righteous ones; And shout for joy, all you who are upright in heart. May your heart grow and rejoice in the Lord! I am so grateful that I get to call you mine.  What a blessing you are!

Dear Hannah,

I know I've told you this countless times, but you are an answer to prayer of a desire of my own heart. I prayed for you for ten years.  God's grace and favor truly does rest on your life, even from the time you were conceived.  The docs told me immediately that you weren't going to survive.  And yet there you were, nine months later, screaming your head off when you were born.  You may be tiny, but you are definitely very intelligent already, and you have a very strong will.  I pray this trait will be used for God's kingdom and not by the enemy to destroy your life.  But you are giggle box at heart, and you love all things girl.  I can't forget all the stories about Sarah, your best imaginary friend, who lives in a sparkly purple house.  My prayer for you is 2 Corinthians 12:9:  And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  I pray that God's grace is perfected in your life through weakness, and that you always know that His grace and favor continually rest on your life. I love you, little one.

Dear Nate,

You are the only kiddo God specifically asked me if He could send.  I knew that if your dad ever had a boy, he wanted to name you Nathanael because of Nathanael in the Bible who saw angels ascending and descending from heaven.  Even at 3, you're always telling me that you see angels.  We have never talked much about angels other than in me praying over you at night.  But my heart is warmed because I know without a doubt that you see them.  I love all of your snuggles at night.  I love that you're learning to gain your own identity and independence.  I love that you're all boy and don't want anything to do with girly stuff.  My prayer is for you is John 1:49-51:  Nathanael answered Him, “Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel.” Jesus answered and said to him, “Because I said to you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” And He *said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see the heavens opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.” I pray that you will always see greater things in life and in everyone.  You are indeed a great gift to your mom. I cannot wait as I watch you grow and mature.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment